Buying, operating, maintaining, repairing, and updating a UAV can be a daunting task, especially when the price ranges from $20,000 to $200,000. Our goal is to ensure you are fully aware of the capabilities and limitations of the machine before you purchase as well as the regulations that are placed on these machine by Transport Canada. When spending this kind of money you don’t want any surprises and you want 100% confidence that your choice is the right choice. We are here to give you that confidence.
Unmanned Air System, consider the following:
- Is a UAV for you?
- What style of machine is required? Fixed wing? Multi rotor?
- What flight duration is required?
- What safety systems are required?
- Can you operate under T.C. regulations?
- What is your budget?
- What is the size of craft that will work for your situation?
- What payloads are required? What are the costs of their payloads?
- Where is the UAV supplier located if parts need to be returned?
- Is the supplier reputable? With excellent customer service?
- Will you require an operator on site when the UAV is being used?
- Will you carry the required insurance?(not required if Ascent UAV is being used)
After some of these things have been considered Ascent UAV would do a evaluation of your Unmanned Air System ‘needs’. We will give a detailed overview of the requirements of the craft as well as an overview of Transport Canada’s regulations and if they can be met.
Before the purchase has occurred consider the following:
- Who will manage the UAS operations?
- Who will be trained on the machine?
- Who will maintain the machine after each flight?
- Who will update the system’s software and re-test when changes are made by the manufacturer?
- Who will deal with Transport Canada for each flight? And if there is an incident?
- Who will train your people locally?
How we can help:
There are different levels of consultations available from Ascent UAV. Listed here are some possibilities but we can also customize our services to suit your needs. The four main levels are as follows:
- Consulting on the front end before purchase. We can review your requirements, discuss scenarios with you and research the different UAV’s currently available in the market today. After this we can make are recommendation based on your budget and requirements. This level of service is intended to ensure you have the greatest level of knowledge of the product BEFORE you buy. Here we will ensure you are not paying for something you don’t need and, also, we can inform you if your plans will or will not meet Transport Canada’s regulations. We will contact the UAV suppliers and arrange demonstrations, document the performance and customer service for you. It is optional for you to attend these demonstrations but it is highly recommended that one person from your organization does attend. This level of service is charged out at an hourly rate.
- The next level of service is required by clients who order machines but do not have anyone technical on site to service, maintain, update, repair and or train their other personnel on the machine. In this scenario I would attend the training related to whatever machine is purchased. This training I would then pass on to as many people as the client wished to attain the training. In this way anyone can be trained locally at any time in a consistent fashion. Again this service is charged out at an hourly rate.
- Another step above this level of service is to actually fly the machine for the client. Because of the way Transport Canada’s regulations work the SFOC is attached not only to the machine but to the pilot. It is a requirement of TC that the operator has insurance to operate a UAV. This is, as well, all tied to the operators name. Most clients find this to be the most cost effective way of operating a UAV.
- Finally, it is possible that we design and develop a UAV customized for your requirements. At this level, we include the first three levels of service as well as design and build the machine to your specific requirements. Again this can be flown by either your personnel with training, or by our staff.
In closing there are more and more UAV companies coming on the market every day. Each one has advantages and disadvantages; we are here to help you in your journey to owning and operating these systems in a safe, legal and profitable way.